Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The point being?

One of the words that I most despise in writing is “thesis.” It conjures a mental block and will not allow me to write anything that resembles what a “thesis” should be. I’m about 96.7 percent certain that this is because of the importance that has been placed on the writing of one’s thesis in my writing education. Sure, having a clear idea of where you’re going and stating your direction from the beginning is important, but does it have to be the first thing that is created in a paper? Not at all. The times that I have been most successful with creating a concise statement for my thesis have undoubtedly been after I’ve written my arguments and asked myself, “Ok, now just what is it that I’m saying?”

That is precisely how I intend to present the idea of thesis writing to students when I have some to call my own.

Rather than using such an intimidating task like “write your thesis” I plan on having them organize what it is that they want to say, then actually say it, and make sure that is where their paper went before committing that to a “thesis statement.” That way will introduce them to the idea with the first paper that they will write. For a second essay I will have them bring in that first assignment to remind them of the process. Then they will be asked to tell me in one statement before writing what they “intend to prove” through the rest of their paper. Or, for an even simpler phrasing, “What’s your point?” This way, for teachers and professors they will encounter later who are fans of the thesis first method, they will be prepared.



Hopefully I will have lost some of my thesis phobia before then!

2 comments:

Bob said...

As much as I liked the "notebook paper" background, I like this look better. This is much easier on the eyes, and your writing is not competing with the busy visual.

Susan said...

Good points - this is why you'll be a great teacher - challenge tradition!